Saturday 20 June 2015

Dig Deep on Cowbell Radio #24 with Mike Yates (Dead Horse Gang)


We continue the series on Cowbell Radio with 3 hours of hand picked music and another special guest selector in the mix... This month we welcome Mike Yates from the Dead Horse Gang to the Dig Deep family.

The Dead Horse Gang is a 7 man crew that includes 78 Edits, Sam Pemberton, Tim Hamblin, Old Boy, Mike Boorman and Tim Forester. Recent guests at their night in Carlisle include Marcel Vogel, Ruf Dug and Harri n Domenic.



Expect House Disco Brazilian Boogie Edits and probably some other bits in between. It's fair to say that Mike has that Loft vibe spot on and his mix is as smooth as it is sweet. Don't miss this chance to check out Mike Yates in the mix. Catch it first exclusively on Cowbell Radio...


Here's a little pre-show Q&A if you don't already know about Mike Yates's background:

How long have been buying vinyl?
For the best part of 20 years.

Are you a selector or a collector?
I'd say I'm more of a selector although there's a few labels that I don't like to miss stuff on.

When did you get into DJing and why?
There was a monthly party that used to go down in Carlisle called Perfect. It was just a dark basement with a big system, smoke machine and strobe light. A lot of the Cream residents like Paul bleasdale and Les Ryder used to play there a lot and Tom Wainwright and Graeme Park were also on regularly. I'd always thought myself as a bit of a DJ at secondary school as my mate Piehead had a set of 22s and a 'made to fade' mixer set up in his bedroom. We used to buy old Italian house and happy hardcore. We were proper shit!

So when I heard the music that was being played at perfect I wanted another bite of the cherry and as soon as I could afford a set of 1210s I got some. I got friendly with Patrick Irwin who was a resident at Perfect and he owned Rhythm Express records in Carlisle, which is sadly missed and ironically a nightclub is in its place. He used to hook me up with amazing tunes. He knew his shit man. He still does!

I built up a decent collection of tunes and after almost every Perfect I'd go back to my parents house in a taxi , load my set up into it and take it round to which ever after party was going!
Perfect then sadly finished in 2000 and nothing was really happening in Carlisle. Then Matt Tyson who now runs the popular and successful Uber nights in Carlisle started putting little party's on and I gave him a mixtape I'd made and he liked it and he asked me to play for him. Think he had Seb Fontaine on. I was shitting it but it must of went well cos I've played at some brilliant party's he's promoted with the likes of Derrick Carter, The Revenge, Norman Jay MBE, Groove Armada and Crazy P to name a few.

Who and what are your influences?
Larry levan, Dave Mancuso, MCDE, Soulwax, Michael Jackson, Todd Terje, Optimo Espacio, 6th Borough Project, Joey Negro, MAW, The Revenge, Kenny Hawkes, Peace Division, I could go on...

How would you describe your style?
I like to play all kinds of stuff from Soul to techno. Id like to think my sets were energetic and fun. If it's a good record I'll play it. Anything with a groove.

Where can people hear you playing?
You can hear me play monthly at Open Mind Music and Arts bar and we've got some tasty party's lined up forSeptember and October. I'm also playing Solfest in August alongside Doug Chippendale aka Old Boy.

Tell me about Dead Horse Gang?
Dead horse Gang was born a couple of years ago when Doug and I decided that cos there wasn't really anywhere in Carlisle where we could go and have a boogie to the tunes we love that we needed to fill that gap. We'd both put partys on to varying degrees of success so we knew the club owners etc and both knew some like minded DJs who we'd met at various festivals and club nights over the years. So we hired The Brickyard and some Funktion 1 speakers and a Rane rotary mixer and put a party on and it worked, and we're still doing them now nearly 3 years on...

What have you got coming up next and later in the year?
Next up is Solfest in August where we're playing 12 till 3 in Loungevity. Looking forward to that one. Then we've got some special guests in September and December before rounding off the year on Boxing night in Open Mind with a very special guest. Watch this space!

Where can people check you out online?
soundcloud.com/mike-yates

Tracklist:
Ivan Neville - For Real - Flowers
Archie Bell & the Drells Strategy (Touchsoul Re-Edit)
Super Value - False Faces
Em Vee - Keep Trippin
Ella Fitzgerald - Simple Life
Barbara Mason - Give Me Your
Eddie C - Astrology
Jazzy Gentle - Tea Leaf Dancers - (Jazzy Gentle ReELab)
Imre Kiss - Spellbound 4th take
Junktion - Solitude
Demdike Stare - Eulogy
Frank Booker - Track 3
Disco Boogie Classics 5 - Limited Search
Yse Saint Laur'Ant - Keep In Step
Funkineven feat Kyle Hall - Discipline
Jay Daniel - Who Taught You Octagon
Merwyn & Inkswell - Eternal Freedom (Linkwood Remix)
Unknown Deeetroit - Catchin That Groove
Chesus aka Earl Jeffers- A1 Orbicular
Sam Records remixed b1 vicky d soul clap
Hamilton Bohannon - Groove (Lay-Far re-edit)
Foxy-People Fall in Love (While Dancing)

Mini-Mix DJ: Mike Yates (Dead Horse Gang)
Glen Underground - Take Your Time Edit
Eddie C - voyage voyage
Chez - Good Things
YSE Saint Laur'Ant - The optimistic Voyeur
Beaten Space Probe - Glittering Days
(thee) Mike B - No stoppin' the slide
DJ Shante - Well, Well, Well
Anonymous Edits vol. 2 - Gimme Love
Beaten Space Probe - L is for love Edit
We Love Japan Brothers Ninjas - Dreams (Oyama Edit)

Dig Deep On Cowbell Radio
with Mike Yates (Dead Horse Gang)
Saturday 20th June 2015
7pm-10pm

Follow the show:
facebook.com/DigDeepOnCowbellRadio